Quantcast

December 5, 2011

They Glitter Horses, Don't They? (A Pinterest Project Update)

Well! That was a nice little break.

My Pinterest project was interesting. I thought that I would bang these projects out fairly quickly and feel all accomplished, but I didn't.

My friend Rebekah asked on Facebook for Pinterest projects-- the good, meh, and ugly. So I promised her I would share my thoughts.

1. The Meh.

Here are my blue spray-painted bottles. Why are they a "meh"? 


What you can't see is the crackling on the outside and drips. They aren't perfect. They live in my basement right now-- I might bust them out for a spring/summer party as vases. But for now, I'm just not feeling them.

2. The Ugly.

Well. I tried to do this pretty paint chip garland for a baby shower. I went to Aubuchon and shoved a bunch of paint chips into my purse (feeling not so ethical in the process), ordered a 2" scallop paper punch from Amazon, and got punching. Here's a progress shot:


... And that's as far as I got. I'll tell you why-- I didn't have a proper craft needle and small hole punch. I tried using a very tiny screwdriver head as my hole punch, but it ruined the scallop pieces. Then, I gave up, because it was the night before the baby shower, and I had the beginning of bronchitis but didn't know it. 

3. The Good Awesome!

Glitter horses, you guys. Leave it to Martha Stewart, my nemesis/hero, to come up with a simple and awesome project.

I bought a tube of plastic horses from Michael's. Originally I bought embossing powder, which is so not the same as glitter. When I finally found regular glitter (glitter glue/gel seems to be the norm?) at Target, I jumped on this. 

Here's the first coat: 


You sort of have to glitter them in sections to start. In my case, the tail or head came last.

And here they are before a final touch-up:


You can see some spots where the color of the horse came through-- so, after a few hours of drying, I just slapped some more glue and glitter on. So easy. It's Elmer's Glue, people-- it dries so fast.

And, here they are completed (with a quick spray of Krylon glitter sealer):





I am so in love with the black glitter. Something majestic and Black Stallion about it.

Glitter sealer is optional, but I wanted my glitter horses to stand the test of time. Glitter sealer dries in 20 minutes, and is ready to handle in 24 hours. It smells horrific and is pretty toxic. But, all in the name of glitter horses.

I don't even know what I will do with them. I just want to look at them all day! Most likely I will tuck them on the Christmas tree for a little extra sparkle. GLITTER HORSES! 


1 comment:

I hope you say nice things, but if you don't, I'll get over it eventually.