Quantcast

September 7, 2010

Not Taking it for Granite

(ZING! I slay myself.)

This weekend Neale and I headed up to Vermont to enjoy the long weekend with his parents and brother. At some point earlier last week, he mentioned something about "Free granite in Barre," which I sort of brushed off. We always talk a good game about stopping at some cool place on the way home, so I thought this was another one of those.

Alas my friends, he was very serious. On the way to Vermont, he mentioned that the granite quarries in Barre, Vermont have a lot of "trash" which is basically just leftover pieces of granite. He thought that instead of paying hundreds of dollars for a pallet of stone slabs to line a garden, we could use the free granite. I balked at this, because A. It seemed sort of illegal, and B. Manual labor: not my thing.

But, like his darling wife, when Neale has his mind set on something, he goes for it. So, there we were, in the middle of Barre Vermont, parked on a dirt side street behind an abandoned building, with a giant granite quarry right behind us. And sure enough, there were a couple of small piles of granite remnants. I was nervous, but something changes in you when you own a home. I can tell you exactly what it is, too: You lose all shame. Like college, free things are suddenly awesome again, particularly when your disposable income leaves something to be desired. Neale also justified it, explaining that this granite was his "birthright," because his father, uncle and other relatives lived just around the corner for many years. And, because my dreams now consist of finding $10 bills in my pants pockets, I went along.

So we put a few hundred pounds of granite in the back of our Subaru, and agreed that the next time we went to visit his folks, we would stop here for more (maybe even focus on flat pieces to create a walkway).

Sure, the legal/moral/ethical lines are fuzzy at best, but, my budget is very clear. Here's what we picked up:

We neatly stacked the pieces on the patio against the bulkhead until we're ready to use them. It was like an awesome game of Tetris.


Here is the mother of all slabs that my strong-like-bear husband nabbed. It weighs at least 200lbs. We're thinking of having our house number etched on it and putting it near the driveway. For now, it's just... there.

1 comment:

  1. If it's free it's for me! (I'll take three!)

    Operating on a tight budget myself, I realize that one person's trash is another's treasure. How very "green" of you guys - except - try to steal a bit more locally, you know, reduce energy consumption and what not.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you say nice things, but if you don't, I'll get over it eventually.